Thursday, March 14, 2013

Google Reader Is Going Away

Come July 1, 2013, Google Reader will be no more.  

The service, which has been around since 2005, has been a daily staple of my mobile internet addiction since I started using it in earnest since 2009.  It is my go site for all things Android/Mobile/Technology related, as well as a huge list of webcomic RSS feeds that I curate every Wednesday in what I like to call the #webcomicwednesday flood.


Google Reader, fatally wounded, now gasping its last breaths. (Photo courtesy +Ivan Raszl )

It's always sad to see an often used service go away...it's even sadder when it was so heavily used and relied on to provide most-if not all-of my information needs.  With over 100 active feeds, carefully organized by interest categories, (Android-Mobile-Technology, Atheism, Google News, Japanese Culture, Motorcycling, Public Speaking, Webcomics, and Miscellaneous feeds,) it's going to be hard to not only find a suitable replacement to Google Reader but also become acclimated to its interface.

A few suitable alternatives have been found for both my Android device, (NewsRob,) and for the PC, (RSS Feed Reader Chrome Extension and theoldreader.com.  I will report later on how these alternative RSS feed readers worked out, as well as if others have been found & tested.

For now, I will continue to use Google Reader and will continue to do so until July 1st.

It's a sad day, indeed.

PS, not only was the Google+ sphere all abuzz about this, but look at what popped up as my first article on my Google Reader feed.


I haz a sad...indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment