Monday, July 1, 2013

Fare Thee Well, Google Reader

The plug is being pulled as we speak.

As of midnight tonight, (no idea which time zone,) Google Reader will be decommissioned.


Felt kinda nostalgic after not using Google Reader for the last 3 months or so, (since I switched to Feedly,) so I visited one last time...for old times' sake.

Compared to Feedly, Google Reader looked plain, outdated and featureless.  Yet it did what it was designed to do:  organize all my RSS feeds and share relevant articles with ease.  I didn't really use any of its other social functions, but it worked for me.

When I heard that Google Reader was being decommissioned, I thought it was so unfair that, now that I finally got around to using it on a regular basis, that it would be shut down.  I didn't think there would be any suitable replacement, but thankfully Feedly rolled around and saved the day.  It is the only reader that has the majority of the features that Google Reader had.  The Old Reader is another reader I'll be trying in the near future, but from what I've heard, it doesn't have all the features that Feedly has.  AOL and Digg are coming out with their own versions of RSS Feed readers, and it's great to know that there are other options available; however, I tend to be very loyal to the first brand that I find that I feel comfortable with.

In any case, today is a sad day.  A good service taken down before its time.

Fare thee well, Google Reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment