Monday, September 2, 2013

Deep thoughts on my mobile internet addiction

There aren't that many things in this world that will cause me to pause and reflect on my current state of affairs.  The following video is one of those things.


Video title:  "I Forgot My Phone"
Huge H/T to +Dirk Reul for tagging me on this video

The most sobering aspect of this video was the way in which I saw myself in all of the situations depicted therein.  From using my smartphone right before I go to bed to using it during a meal with friends and/or family, there I saw me; and I was completely oblivious to the implications of my actions.  I tried to project myself on the young lady, trying desperately to believe I could relate, but I kept seeing myself on each and every individual using their smartphone to interact with others and chronicle their every moment.

I felt so bad for the young lady.  I can see how she felt ignored.  Left out.  Alone.  Even when she would be in bed with her significant other, as soon as the lights went out and the smartphone came on, that the only one in that bed was her.

When I started this blog, my intention was for it to be a tongue-in-cheek writing project chronicling the current trend of mobile Internet abuse, which at the time looked hilarious.  After this video, I'm not so sure it's funny anymore.  Sure, there are funny pictures of this phenomenon floating in the ether, but this is serious.

At least, it's serious to me now.

I took this snapshot of my current data usage on my smartphone about a day ago.  With one day left on my billing cycle, I felt a shameful sense of pride that it had reached that high.

This picture was taken in reply to a post by +Halfdan Reschat .
His post and my reply can be found here:
https://plus.google.com/103697368260407276883/posts/hWDVa4zvLg7

That's a crazy high number!

When I took that picture I quickly checked a spreadsheet I was updating with my growing data usage for the past 20 months, and what I found was startling.

October spike due to signing up for true unlimited data plan

Even crazier that the trend goes back nearly 1 year!

I look at this chart and I wonder, what the hell have I been doing?  Just where did all that time go?

And I hear my little girls' voices echoing in my head, "daddy, are you almost done playing with your phone?"

Yeah, this is not good.

I don't want my children to remember me as the absent father.  I don't want them to have a memory of me glued to a smartphone out and ignoring their needs.  I vow to spend more time with my kids and less time on the smartphone.  I owe it to them to be the dad they deserve.  My selfish mobile Internet needs will have to take a back seat, for the sake of my children...and my sanity.

Wish me luck.

PS, speaking of funny Internet pictures, here's one that very accurately describes my initial reaction when I got my first smartphone.

Read this webcomic here:  http://forlackofabettercomic.com/?id=205

No comments:

Post a Comment